Signs You Need to Know For Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs

Posted by Amanda Langill on

We wrote about chocolate poising very recently, but more so, why chocolate is so bad for your dogs. Today, I wanted to go over more of what to look out for.

A lot of us have probably seen a dog sneak some chocolate and be okay for the most part. But that is not the case for all situations. Like we said in our other blog post, chocolate poisoning can really come down to two things in regards to how they handle it. Their age and the type of chocolate. Pure chocolate like unsweetened baker's chocolate is one of the most toxic types for dogs, as an example.

If your dog does find their way into some chocolate, you want to make sure to look out for the signs I'm about to list below. But it's important to note that chocolate poisoning can take anywhere from 6 to 12 hours to start developing any sort of signs. So even after a few hours pass and your dog still seems okay, remember, keep a close eye on them.

Pug laying on the floor

Look For These Signs

First of all, do the best you can in figuring out how much chocolate they ate so you can relay that information to your vet if need be.

The most common signs that you'll see are vomiting and diarrhea. Other common signs to look for are panting, excessive urination, a heightened level of thirst, restlessness and a racing heart rate.

In more critical cases, you can also look for seizures, heart failure and muscle tremors. And bringing it back to the age of the dog and why that matters. If your dog is in their elder years, it unfortunately could result in cardiac arrest causing a sudden death. This is especially the case for dogs with preexisting heart disease conditions.

If your dog does consume a dangerous level of chocolate, or any chocolate, like everything else, play it safe and call your local veterinarian right away. From there they can give you the proper advice about what to do in this specific situation. It's just so important that you keep a close eye on them to make sure that they're doing okay, especially once a few hours have passed and the poisoning symptoms begin showing themselves.

As always, this is a blog and we are not veterinary professionals. If you have any critical questions or concerns about your dog and this topic, please call your dog's vet right away.

Any questions or comments about our blog post? Or have any tips you want to share with us? Leave a comment below or email us at contact@ShopBlula.com and don’t forget to follow us on all social media! @BlulaBlog on FacebookInstagram (@Blula)TwitterPinterestLinkedIn and YouTube!

← Older Post Newer Post →



Leave a comment